So, I actually got this blog thing to work! That's a step in the right direction I'd say. So I guess now I actually start blogging...
Well, let’s start with some background information. Having been given the option of a number of assignments I decided to choose this one, starting and maintaining a blog on the broad topic of the sociology of education because blogging is new to me and I figured it might be worthwhile to try it out! You never can tell when something will come in handy!
That being said, let’s move on.
Well, let’s start with some background information. Having been given the option of a number of assignments I decided to choose this one, starting and maintaining a blog on the broad topic of the sociology of education because blogging is new to me and I figured it might be worthwhile to try it out! You never can tell when something will come in handy!
That being said, let’s move on.
In our first lecture in, the professor showed an interesting picture as the background to his opening PowerPoint slide. This was a picture of a statue titled “The Illuminated Crowd,” which is located in Montreal. Seeing this image I began to wonder how the figures depicted tied in with the sociology of education. I visited Montreal recently and remember stopping by this statue to walk around it and read the plaque. It is of particular interest to note that as you walk from the front of the statue towards the rear the figures progress through a continuum of emotions and states of being ranging from enlightenment to death. As the plaque describing “The Illuminated Crowd” states,
“A crowd has gathered, facing a light, an illumination brought about by a fire, an event, an ideology – or an ideal. The strong light casts shadows, and as the light moves toward the back and diminishes, the mood degenerates; rowdiness, disorder and violence occur, showing the fragile nature of man. Illumination, hope, involvement, hilarity, irritation, fear, illness, violence, murder and death – the flow of man’s emotion through space.” (Plaque of “The Illuminated Crowd,” Montreal, 1985)
Having revisited this description, it quickly becomes apparent that this statue does, indeed, relate to the sociology of education. As individuals practice using a sociological perspective in the way they see the world (and the world of education) they aim to look at the big picture and consider the impact of decisions on all involved. Arguably, these individuals are illuminated by their knowledge and practice of sociology (as the figures at the front of the statue are illuminated by an ideology). These figures are shown to be involved and thriving which can be paralleled back to the sociology of education as this type of perspective is conducive of being involved and addressing issues before they arise, thus, potentially fostering a thriving community. Similarly, if the issues addressed by sociologists or individuals cognisant of the sociological perspective are ignored (as in the “shadow” within the statue) there is a degeneration. More specifically, there may be negative unintended consequences as a result of a hasty decision. Although this likely would not result in murder or death, as is depicted in the figures displayed in Montreal, this murder and death could be representative of the individuals harmed by a decision not thoroughly thought through. Further, such uninformed decisions would almost definitely lead to irritation and “illness” within the system.
Although this is only one interpretation of the relevance of “The Illuminated Crowd” to the sociology of education, it allowed me to make a link between my current understanding and an experience I had in past travels. I would be interested to hear others’ interpretations to further my insight and would welcome comments of this nature.
1 comment:
I just liked the picture... :-)
Nice discussion.
Post a Comment