Sunday, September 27, 2009

Residential schools


While reading in Chapter 1, “The Nature of Sociological Inquiry and the Study of Schooling,” in the text Sociology of Education: An Introductory View from Canada (Second Edition) written by Joyce Barakett and Ailie Cleghorn, I was reminded of the history of education as it pertains to the aboriginal community. More specifically, I was reminded of the terrible experiences of many aboriginal children and youth when they were taken away from their families and forced to attend residential schools.

Thinking about the re-education that occurred at these schools, along with the abuse that often came with it, I am cannot help but wonder at the contradiction of these institutions. The purpose of the residential school was to impose “Christian” and European values on the native population. This was justified by labelling aboriginal individuals as savages. This is ironic as it was the Europeans, in fact, who were acting in a savage way by ripping children away from their families and subjecting them to abuse and misunderstanding.

I was introduced to this topic before on numerous occasions through presentations, discussions, readings and videos. One that stands out for me was a movie titled “The Education of Little Tree.” This story, which I believe is adapted from a novel, is about a young boy (Little Tree) and his joy in learning the culture of his people contrasted with his struggle against residential schooling. I think this film provides a good introduction to the issues pertaining to residential schooling and could be an enjoyable way to start a discussion on this subject. I think it is important for us, as the future educators in this country to have an awareness of the types of issues that have occurred in the past. This type of understanding can help us to make informed decisions and consider all the consequences (both intended and unintended) of our decisions before it is too late to take them back.

No comments: