After reading Chapter 1, “The Nature of Sociological Inquiry and the Study of Schooling,” in the text Sociology of Education: An Introductory View from Canada (Second Edition) written by Joyce Barakett and Ailie Cleghorn, I thought it would be helpful to make some visual representations of key information. One of the first concepts addressed is the distinction between informal, non-formal, and formal education. I have outlined this in the diagram below.

Another interesting topic discussed involved the functions of formal education through school. This includes both those functions that are intended as well as those that are unintended.

I found it helpful to organize this information in this visual format because it not only allowed me to review the information another time, but also presents an easily accessible overview of the main points discussed in the first section of the chapter. I think this type of overview is a good way to depict and review main ideas and I hope others will also find it useful. Please remember that the information in my diagrams is adapted from the book and authors mentioned above.
No comments:
Post a Comment