In class the other day, we were asked what the implications would be of increasing funding/focus to math and sciences in schools. In our discussion group we quickly brought up the point that with an increased focus on the math and sciences there had to be a decrease somewhere else. This decrease would likely occur in the area of the fine arts, as history has shown in the past. This led to an animated discussion of the significance of such a decision.
I brought up the importance of the fine arts in our school system because a child’s development in these areas is significantly different than that in other subjects such as math and science. I argued that the arts are important in the development of creativity and expression. Although, as one member of my group pointed out, creativity could be incorporated into the core subjects (such as science and math) I feel this is not enough. I agree that it is beneficial to include creative activities and thinking into the core subjects, however, I would argue that this does not eliminate the need for fine arts classes. There is something to be said for having time (and funding) to engage in creativity for the sake of creativity, rather than as a means towards an academic end.
Further, by focusing in on one area of education (the sciences), there could be a detrimental effect on those students who have difficulty in the particular subject in question. I believe it is important to provide opportunity for all students to succeed within the school system and, although I recognize the importance of the core subjects, I feel the arts have a definite place as well. By offering a diversity of subjects with a very different base of skills and understandings, we are much more likely to tap into the strengths and learning needs of all students in the school system and to provide both the necessary basic subjects as well as enjoyment for a wider range of students.
One argument that has been made, as pointed out in class, is that children can participate in the fine arts outside of school time in extracurricular type activities. These activities would then be the responsibility of the parents/caregivers. One basic problem with this idea is that a large percentage of parents/caregivers may not be able to afford this type of activity and, as a result, their children would be denied the opportunity to participate in such areas as music, drama, or visual arts instruction. I think it is the responsibility of the school system to ensure all children have an equal opportunity and are introduced to a wide variety of subject areas and disciplines. Who knows where a child can go if we just give them the tools they need to explore their potential!
I brought up the importance of the fine arts in our school system because a child’s development in these areas is significantly different than that in other subjects such as math and science. I argued that the arts are important in the development of creativity and expression. Although, as one member of my group pointed out, creativity could be incorporated into the core subjects (such as science and math) I feel this is not enough. I agree that it is beneficial to include creative activities and thinking into the core subjects, however, I would argue that this does not eliminate the need for fine arts classes. There is something to be said for having time (and funding) to engage in creativity for the sake of creativity, rather than as a means towards an academic end.
Further, by focusing in on one area of education (the sciences), there could be a detrimental effect on those students who have difficulty in the particular subject in question. I believe it is important to provide opportunity for all students to succeed within the school system and, although I recognize the importance of the core subjects, I feel the arts have a definite place as well. By offering a diversity of subjects with a very different base of skills and understandings, we are much more likely to tap into the strengths and learning needs of all students in the school system and to provide both the necessary basic subjects as well as enjoyment for a wider range of students.
One argument that has been made, as pointed out in class, is that children can participate in the fine arts outside of school time in extracurricular type activities. These activities would then be the responsibility of the parents/caregivers. One basic problem with this idea is that a large percentage of parents/caregivers may not be able to afford this type of activity and, as a result, their children would be denied the opportunity to participate in such areas as music, drama, or visual arts instruction. I think it is the responsibility of the school system to ensure all children have an equal opportunity and are introduced to a wide variety of subject areas and disciplines. Who knows where a child can go if we just give them the tools they need to explore their potential!

No comments:
Post a Comment