I think that there is so much more to consider than what we buy. To begin with, I think what we buy is less impor
tant than our reasons for buying it and our intentions for using it. What is our thinking? What is our motive? For example, there is a great difference between the individual who buys a given food product based on health requirements and the individual who buys these same products for moral reasons. The purchase is the same, and both are influencing the market, however, it is interesting to wonder at the differences between the purchasers and their reasons for their consumerism.Moving away from actual consumption, I recognize that people can fulfil many, arguably more meaningful roles. To illustrate this point, we need only consider those individuals that contribute to societal advancement. Whether this is through novel inventions or through ideas and philosophy, I feel that it is these unique contributions, and not the products one buys, that help define who a person is.
Thinking of myself, I feel many things define me. Among these are my values, my priorities, and my roles in life. I am a daughter, a sister, a friend, a student, a teacher, a dreamer, etc, etc, etc. Although I know, I too am a consumer; this by no means characterizes me. I do not wish to be judged by such mundane aspects of life. Rather, I hope I can be appreciated in my uniqueness, creativity, and the impact I have on the lives of others. Perhaps I am being optimistic, but if I don’t, who will?
No comments:
Post a Comment