Saturday, October 10, 2009

In response to David's "Only in Theory"


I tried to post a comment on a classmate’s blog regarding his entry titled "Only in Theory” which discusses the discrepancy that exists between theory and real life (or practice). Unfortunately, I had some problems locating my identity for this post (my web identity that is) and my response would not be posted without it. I have, therefore, included my response below and will have to seek out some help in understanding the method of posting with an identity. It seems I continue to be the “Boggled Blogger...”

Anyways, here is my response...

I have to agree with your position that a theory is just that - a theory. I do believe, however, that in looking at and seeking to understand the variety of theoretical perspectives that have thrived (as well as those that have not) we can begin to develop an understanding of the priorities of "society" at different times and the different ways of looking at an issue. I feel that swearing by one particular theoretical perspective is indeed limiting. Instead, we should learn what we can from those who came before us and then think critically about how we can apply what we have learned to better understand issues and to influence education in a positive manner. How exactly can this be done? That, I fear, is the ultimate question, and one that does not necessarily have one correct answer. As human beings we have differences – differences in values, beliefs, approach, etc., etc., etc. The bottom line is that we can combine what we have learned from the past (through past theories and practices) with what we dream for the future to try to make the present as wonderful as we can.

2 comments:

David said...

The only comment that I have at the moment is a correction. My original posting is not titled "Only a Theory" but "Only in Theory".

ME said...

My apologies, I will go back and fix it!